11 Great Ways to Improve Your MPG
Though Honda vehicles are generally great when it comes to fuel economy, responsible drivers don’t let factory limitations stop them from getting the most out of their vehicles. There are a few key things you can do to improve your MPG beyond what you might normally expect. Here’s a list of tricks and tips to help you get the most miles out of your tank.
The Best Everyday Ways to Improve Your MPG
- Keep your vehicle well maintained. Easy things like air filters and spark plugs can detract from your gas budget when they’re old, so scheduling regular service is always a good idea.
- Keep your tires properly inflated. Too little air (or too much) can ding your fuel economy by as much as 25%.
- Use the internet to find the lowest gas prices around, but don’t drive too far just to save a few pennies, as the distance can offset the savings.
- Change when you commute to a less common time. If it’s possible to drive in lighter traffic either earlier or later than rush hour, you’ll be rewarded by lighter gas bills.
- Lighten your load. For every 250 lbs your car carries, your MPG goes down by 1.
- Make sure the gas cap is on tight to avoid evaporation of fuel.
- Use cruise control to keep your fickle pedal foot from altering the speed too much and guzzling gas.
- Take bike racks, ski racks, and other add-ons off when they’re not in use to reduce air resistance.
- Buy the right octane level. Your car may run better on Regular than high-octane fuel. If your owner’s manual says Regular, it’s telling the truth.
- Don’t top off the the tank when you’re filling up.
- Drive at a moderate speed. A rule of thumb is that every 5 mph over 60 mph is about 20 cents more per gallon of gas.
Take Efficiency Seriously
We at Bosak Honda Michigan City care about how far your vehicle is taking you. If you have any questions about fuel economy, our service offerings, or our new and used vehicles, don’t hesitate to contact us today!